affiliate_link

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

THE POWER OF OUR STORIES

   I want to share some examples that highlight how impactful our personal stories are.   We make  stories up all day long about situations that arise in our lives.  Sometimes we are correct and many times we are way off the mark.  We might tell ourselves that the speeding tailgater  behind us is a brash and pushy individual attempting to bully us into going faster.   That very well could be true.   The driver could also have just heard some devastating news and he is so caught up in his head that he isn't driving safely.   Perhaps he suddenly feels ill and needs to get to a bathroom asap.  Perhaps he is just a rude driver after,  but which story is going to allow you to stay in your joy? When we share these made up stories we can really damage lives.  When people in our lives make up their own stories about us, especially when they involve others, we can allow ourselves to feel devastated or we can align our walk with the truth of who we are and hope that time corrects it.   It can be immensely difficult to let go without stating our side or sharing our intentions but we have no control over someone else's story.

  1.)  Okay... so this is just amusing but if it had been a different husbands story, a husband with less moral character or mental stability.... it could have been used cruelly.  Just this morning a dear girlfriend gingerly pussy footed around a question that had been pestering her for a few months.  Apparently, her husband was an audible witness to my supposed love crime.  A few months ago, when they were visiting me,  her husband specifically heard a male voice say the sentence "I feel like I'm hiding from the teacher."  The husband is positive he heard those words bouncing down the hall in my home followed by lip smacking make-out sounds,  when a young twenty three year old man, who was visiting me for the weekend, and I were alone in my living room.  I'm forty.  Now they sat on the knowledge of this imagined "indiscretion" trying to convince themselves that it was none of their business, even though I was in a relationship with someone else.  Absolutely.  But close friends don't usually want to be left out on such an adventure.  Cougar pride or disdain aside.... we want to know! This young man and I have a purely innocent connection as fellow gypsies at heart seeking to unveil the secrets of the universe.  This is why he was visiting me...... not to mention the beautiful island I live on.  The husband who "witnessed" my wild abandon can not be convinced that his mind turned the garbled voices from down the hall into a terrific rated R story with absolutely no basis in fact.  Would I tell my dear girl friend if I were sleeping with a 23 year old man?  You bet!  I am a woman after all!  But, can you imagine the damage that could have been done to my romantic relationship had this beloved couple been inclined to share their story freely?  Our friends, family and community do it all the time;  most often with no malicious intent what-so-ever.  We may want to stop and think first, confront openly without judgement... or just "Let go and let GOoD.

  2.)  My story: This summer I fell in love.  Great right?  I was a free woman.   Well, unfortunately a very dear friend who I had dated seriously 3 years previously was triggered negatively by my positive.  We both knew our relationship was not going to be romantic anymore and we transformed it back into the close friendship we had cherished before.  He has dated since than and so have I.  He was like family and an integral part of my daughters lives.  Admittedly, I was concerned about telling him about my magical summer love and when I finally called him to let him know, he came right over instead of phoning me back as I had asked.  When I opened the door, there I was with my new love visiting in the doorway.  They locked eyes, one with the story that he was meeting a new friend and the other with the story that he was meeting a foe...... even a dangerous one.  My dear old friend told himself and me that I had found someone else as a way to cut our ties.   He told himself that I was many ugly things and that I had lured him over to my house on purpose... to hurt him.  He told me that he was done being involved in my daughters lives.  He wrote frightening letters.  I was silent and in shock and than angry and betrayed.  We had completely different stories.  As a result two little girls got their hearts broken while he and I, once dear friends, lost each other... probably forever.  He is so sure of his story and I am so sure of mine.  Communication is so vital and so tricky.  We have no control over anyone else's story and many of us are driven mad by this.  We have to let them go... we can't let the stories control us.

  Our personal stories can be as simple as what we believe we can wear and what we believe we can't wear.  When I was a young gypsy chick I would be complimented on my original 'fashion' style frequently.  I cant tell you how many times some fabulous woman, admiring my garb, told me that she  "Could never get away with wearing that."  I couldn't understood why people couldn't just wear whatever they loved...... who is this imaginary critique demanding they stick to societies popular norms?  Obviously this just isn't an area that I have a story about other than.... I'm experimental and I love clothes.  Over the years I have conformed with a more mature "successful" look but I always felt like an imposter.  What a silly story to tell myself. I didn't feel as authentic in more conservative outfits but what is inauthentic about trying to look professional? Growing a business and doing what society is most comfortable with to better my chances for success is a fine choice for a mother supporting her daughters single handedly.   I finally dropped that story and settled on a sort of hybrid look.  Our private stories about ourselves and our lives might be the most damaging because they run deep and are highly emotionally charged with our history, fears and desires.  We might tell ourselves that we aren't smart enough to finish college, do any math or get a novel published.  Maybe a parent fed you a dis-empowering story when you were young.  Maybe they never bothered to listen to you, which taught you that you didn't have anything worth saying.  The possibilities are endless and they can hold us back decades until they are cleared out. After growing up with so much alcoholism in my own family I am no stranger to the kind of pain that can be inflicted with these powerful personal stories. Don't even get me started on the twisted meanderings of the pickled mind. Remember!  You are the author!  You can rewrite everything, everyday with a more positive perspective.

We are everything we want to be.  Everything we choose to be.  Be free to explore yourself.  Discover buried bits of bountiful beauty within and...

                                                    ...feel the magic

Do you have a story about how much money you can make and how much work you have to do to receive it?  Are you  ready for some support to bust through your blocks to prosperity?











No comments:

Post a Comment